© 2019 by Old School Sports Journal. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • White Facebook Icon

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

This site is dedicated to the memory of Chuck Kelly, longtime editor of The Journal and Advance News in Ogdensburg and the greatest newsman in the history of Northern New York.

  • davesheasports

Clarkson Ties Colgate: Cornell Blanks Skating Saints

Ranked seventh in the nation and with an opportunity to continue a challenge for an ECAC Hockey regular season title, Clarkson skated to a 1-1 tie at Colgate in a tightly contested match-up of conference foes at Class of 1965 Arena in Hamilton, NY. The Golden Knights, who will finish second in the ECAC Hockey standings, play at Cleary Cup champion Cornell on Saturday at Lynah Rink in Ithaca in the final game of the regular season. The Knights own a 16-4-1 conference mark, three points behind the Big Red. Overall, Clarkson stands at 23-7-3. The Knights held a 1-0 lead over Colgate until the final seconds of regulation when the Raiders scored the tying goal with just over four seconds on the clock. Clarkson, which was outshot by the home team 28-23, held a 6-3 shot advantage in the five-minute overtime, but could not convert for its second score. Frank Marotte (Longueuil, QUE) was sharp again in the Green and Gold crease with 27 saves, including 11 in the third period. Both Clarkson and Colgate had abbreviated power plays in the opening period, but did not generate any goals.  Marotte turned aside all four of the Raiders' shots on goal.  Colgate goalie Mitch Benson, making his first start since December 28, halted all five of the Knights' shots on goal. To start the second period, Colgate had Clarkson pinned in the defensive zone for the first minute.  However, the Golden Knights weathered the storm and proceeded to start two straight minutes of offensive zone puck possession and pressure.  Benson turned aside a couple of opportunities, but the Green and Gold would continue to keep the pressure going. Finally, after a power play had just ended Clarkson's forwards of Mathieu Gosselin (Quebec City, QUE), Nick Campoli (Toronto, ONT) and Adam Tisdale (Cochrane, ALB) worked the puck with multiple cross-ice feeds.  With the Knights still in possession in the offensive zone, Campoli fed the puck to the left point for defenseman Brian Hurley (Dellwood, MN).  Hurley guided his shot through traffic and Tisdale deflected it through the goalie and into the net at 16:56.  The score was Tisdale's seventh of the campaign.  Hurley now has points in three of the last four with two goals and two assists.  Marotte stopped all nine Raider shots in the middle frame, including one attempt that got behind him and started to roll toward the goal line.  At the other end, Benson turned aside seven of eight Golden Knight shots.  The two teams traded chances during the third period, but the next goal would not come until less than five seconds left. With the Benson off to the bench, Colgate was able to generate offensive zone pressure and put pucks to the net.  Off a bounce, the puck came to the left post where Tyler Penner tied the game with just 4.3 remaining in regulation.  Neither team scored in the extra session.  The tie coupled with a Cornell win over St. Lawrence means Clarkson is locked in as the second seed in the ECAC playoffs.  Clarkson is 5-0-1 in the last six games against Colgate.  In the last eight outings, the Green and Gold are 6-1-1.


Top-ranked Cornell shut out the St. Lawrence University men's hockey team, 5-0, on Friday night at Lynah Rink in Ithaca, New York. Cornell scored one minute and 49 seconds into the first period and added two goals in both the second and third periods to push to the eventual five-goal margin. Both third period goals came on the power play. Shots were even 7-7 after the first period, but Cornell limited the Saints to just five in the middle fame and seven again in the third to finish with a 31-19 advantage in shots on goal. Senior netminder Daniel Mannella finished with 26 saves for St. Lawrence. It was Max Andreev who opened the scoring with what proved to be the game winner, finishing off an odd-man rush with a backdoor tap-in off a feed from Jack Malone. The Big Red extended the lead to 3-0 with two goals in less than two minutes in the middle frame. The first of the period came from Michael Regush on a wraparound while Mannella's pad was tied up in a scrum on the opposite post, which kept him from getting all the way across. After review, though, officials ruled it a good goal for a 2-0 game. Joe Leahy made it 3-0 with a blast from the point at the 7:03 mark. He led the Big Red with a goal and two assists on the night. Sam Malinski and Matt Stienburg tacked on power-play goals in the final frame to push to the 5-0 margin, but some of the Saints' best offensive chances on the night also came in the final 20 minutes of play. Jordan Steinmetz, who had a solid game up front both 5-on-5 and on special teams for the Saints, started a 2-on-1 rush into the Cornell zone with Kaden Pickering with the Saints shorthanded midway through the period. Pickering got behind the defender and moved into the slot for a shot, but Cornell's Matthew Galajda made his best save of the night to help preserve his shutout. On the Saints' final power play chance of the game, Alex Gilmour tipped two shots in from the point in front of Galajda; the first was saved and the second popped just over the crossbar. Minutes later, Jake Stevens rang the crossbar with a blast from the point. The Big Red finished 2-for-5 on the man advantage, while the Saints went 0-for-2. With the win over the Saints and a Clarkson tie with Colgate, Cornell claimed the ECAC Hockey Regular Season Championships outright on Friday night. The Big Red improve to 22-2-4 overall with a 17-2-2 mark against conference opponents. The Saints fall to 4-25-4 and 2-18-1 in league play with one game remaining in the regular season. They'll travel to Colgate on Saturday, February 29 for a 7 p.m. puck drop in Hamilton, New York.